Tell the Spartans...

The Universe and Everything in It

Moderator: Moderators

rocketscientist

Post by rocketscientist »

That's wonderful! Congrats! You will have a lot to offer the institute, which is, I'm sure, why they offered you the spot (and not just because of what a cool gal you are - but that too ;). I hope it will offer a fulfilling diversion from some of the more tedious issues of being a serious scientist in this bizarre political era. Best!

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

rocketscientist wrote:I hope it will offer a fulfilling diversion from some of the more tedious issues of being a serious scientist in this bizarre political era. Best!
Thank you, Kathryn. And yes... the hoops that academic scientists have to jump through are becoming so many and complicated that scant time is left to do science. Maybe I should just move the lab to my basement.
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.

rocketscientist

Maybe I should just move the lab to my basement.
ROTFLOL!

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

As some of you know, I'm still waiting for the formal grant award notice but also have been plagued in the last two weeks with severe tooth pain that literally robbed me of clear thinking. It didn't help that Peter was also very ill. And painkillers, in addition to making you drowsy, also act as depressants. In that state of mind, it did me good to read this entry in PZ Myers' science blog:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007 ... ghts_o.php

It did me good because it affirms humaneness and humanity -- the passages from Gilgamesh alone are worth the reading.

rocketscientist

Great essay. Propably the best atheist apology I've yet to read.

The point that athiest idiology cannot be turned to inhuman practices is a fallacy proven by Stalinist Russia, but I think that the gist is more that every human idiology is capable instigating atrocity. That humanity itself is divine, if you will, is something we all need to remember before we think about condeming anyone for thinking differently.

We really should be evolved enough for that by now.

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

rocketscientist wrote:That humanity itself is divine, if you will, is something we all need to remember
I could not agree more!

intrigued_scribe

Post by intrigued_scribe »

This is truly a thought-provoking and powerful essay; thanks for sharing this with us. :) Indeed, it unflinchingly underscores the fact that even--or perhaps especially--the most devout ascribers of any ideology are capable of descending into to inhumanity, due to the narrow, dangerously uncompromising mindsets that too often occur, in the instances where devotion becomes fanaticism. Also:

rocketscientist wrote:
That humanity itself is divine, if you will, is something we all need to remember before we think about condeming anyone for thinking differently.
Absolutely; no truer words.

Heather

Windwalker
Site Admin

Still here...

Post by Windwalker »

As you can tell from the relative silence, health issues are still plaguing me, to the point that I cannot get myself together to write a blog essay or even a brief forum post. A couple of things did happen to boost my mood a bit -- I was invited to join the scientific board of the Lifeboat Foundation... and the well-known sf writer and futurist David Brin mentioned my Star Wars essay in his blog -- midway into the February 23 entry.

I met David once, in a Planetary Society conference, and we exchanged a few e-mails over the years. This round arose because he was the co-editor (along with Matt Stover) of a tongue-in-cheek volume titled Star Wars on Trial, in which he acted as the chief prosecutor. The book came out about two years ago, one of several "Smart Pop" books by BenBella Press. Pity that we didn't know of each other's activities, we could have included my essay in his book.

intrigued_scribe

Post by intrigued_scribe »

Congrats on the invitation!

It's fitting that both be mentioned together, for your essay and the book easily go hand in hand with each other. Aside from that, a good many other gripping points and observations come across in the blog post; thanks for sharing it. :)

Heather

caliban
Site Admin

Post by caliban »

Congratulations on both!
"Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." --Thomas A. Edison