Additions to the Gallery albums

Illustrating Universes Known and Imagined

Moderator: Moderators

Windwalker
Site Admin

Additions to the Gallery albums

Post by Windwalker »

I never get tired of looking at Kathryn, Heather and Josh's art in the gallery -- including preliminary sketches and comps, which I enjoy almost as much as the finished works.

So I was very happy to see that Heather added a preliminary study of Healing - Full Circle, her first work for the Embers universe. The close up of Ari'vén's face reveals both his strength and his vulnerability.
Last edited by Windwalker on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.

Windwalker
Site Admin

A note on avatars

Post by Windwalker »

Eloise, Heather, Kathryn -- your avatars are stunning, and all so different! It a pleasure to just look at them!

intrigued_scribe

Post by intrigued_scribe »

Athena, Eloise, Kathryn, Marie, the same goes for your avatars!

Also, there are five new additions to the galleries; the first two were sparked by a line in Chapter Two of Shoals in Time that begins with the words: "If Adh'isa were a woman...." and the latter three depict scenes in a few of the most recent parts of the story.

-Heather

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

intrigued_scribe wrote:Also, there are five new additions to the galleries; the first two were sparked by a line in Chapter Two of Shoals in Time that begins with the words: "If Adh'isa were a woman...." and the latter three depict scenes in a few of the most recent parts of the story.
My dear Heather, I will comment at more length later. For now, I will say that the new works are heart-wrenching, each in a different way. Your portrayals of Tanegír Sóran-Kerís are an uncanny cross between Adh'ísa and his mother, the fiery Sefanír who was lost too soon. Your depiction of Vón'is is haunting, as is Ari'vén's agony... and the youngsters embracing is a breath of poignant hope.

Athena the Lucky

intrigued_scribe

Dear Athena, my thanks for your lovely comments; as ever, I'm happy to know that the depictions do the emotional depth of the story justice, along with other elements.

-Heather

Marie

Additions to the gallery

Post by Marie »

Dear Heather!!!
Five incredible additions to your gallery and just as accurate a depiction of the characters. I was completely overwhelmed by the 2 positioning Adh'isa as Tanegir Soran-Keris, agonized with Anassa and the Starry Sky, wept with joy in the beauty of the three joined. However, when I enlarged the one of Von'is, the chills were instantaneous. This one is an act of horrific torture that captured my imagination with such vivid intent.
Like Athena, I will comment more in depth after I have caught my breath!
Absolutely stunning, dear friend.

Marie

intrigued_scribe

Thank you for your wonderful feedback, dear Marie! I'm glad that you enjoy the new images. Again, the weighty emotional content was foremost in my thoughts, especially now that the threads of the narrative are coming together into an even clearer picture.

-Heather

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

Almost certainly my last post before leaving for London -- but I didn't want to go before giving Heather's drawings the in-depth comments they deserve!

The two drawings of Tanegír Sóran-Kerís embody a composite ideal -- part Adh'ísa, part Sefanír. What I particularly like is that, despite the voluptuous body, the figure remains androgynous (the strong, angular face, the determined expression, the archaic half-smile). The peripheral touches are just as marvelous: the catamaran, the earring, the flower... the adoring adh'irén (who looks a bit like Seh'míra's sire, Edánir Ha'issé).

Love and Agony is the mirror image of Rest at Journey's End, the one as anxious as the other was peaceful. But just as in Rest, the expressions and body language here convey the title emotions eloquently (Ánassa in particular, showing the same empathy and sheltering that she exudes in Comfort for a Kindred Soul). Additionally, there is the haunting touch of the Syradán's silhouette outlined on the wall.

Imprisoned in a Well of Stars is painful in its absolutely heart-wrenching depiction of Vón'is doubly imprisoned-- addicted to the ynáris and captive to Serkadren. The mechanical components add to the sense of violation, and both her hair and the starry streams envelop her like a shroud. The gaunt face and body, the tormented expression and the constrained stance make her agony palpable.

Completion in the Arms of his Home is wonderful in showing the joy of the youngsters finally united. Here the body language is exuberant, they're practically romping -- Ketivár playing with the strands of Seh'míra's hair and everyone cheerfully disheveled. A breath of hope, indeed.

These drawings are as lovely as ever but also truly poignant, because they showcase how much these people lost, and still stand to lose.

intrigued_scribe

My thanks once again for your in-depth response, Athena!

Aside from the emotional content, the other elements you bring up here play a large part in the compositions. Where the two depicting Tanegir Soran-Keris are concerned, the androgyny is also integral to the female figure to me, and I'm glad to know that that comes across, too. :) The inclusion of the adh'iren came from the mention of "a half-dozen adh'iran" and aside from that, I had Peniren Taren in mind (though the ta'en aris in the background certainly does resemble Edanir Ha'isse).

I'm pleased to know that the atmposheres of the last three images are effective, particularly in Love and Agony and Imprisoned for the contrast between Von'is' suffering, the pain gripping Ari'ven and the sheltering, protective embraces of Anassa and Adh'isa. Also, the poignant hope in Completion is indeed a glimpse of happiness in the midst of peril and a reminder of loss overcome and loss that these people may yet suffer.

Heather

rocketscientist

Post by rocketscientist »

Oh WOW! I missed the editions! Beautiful Heather!

I'm curious about the statement you make with your androgynous style. This isn't a criticism, I find it intriguing. When I was younger I was always drawing androgynous figures, as a way of pointing out the similarities between men and women. Now I find myself leaning in the other direction - fascinated by the differences.

Your work is taking on an Art Nouveau quality at this point. I love the patterns, they can really become an integral part of the composition. Are you familiar with Audrey Beardsley, and Kay Neilson?

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

rocketscientist wrote:Oh WOW! I missed the editions! Beautiful Heather!

I'm curious about the statement you make with your androgynous style. This isn't a criticism, I find it intriguing. When I was younger I was always drawing androgynous figures, as a way of pointing out the similarities between men and women. Now I find myself leaning in the other direction - fascinated by the differences.

Your work is taking on an Art Nouveau quality at this point. I love the patterns, they can really become an integral part of the composition. Are you familiar with Audrey Beardsley, and Kay Neilson?
When I saw Heather's latest, I named the same exact two names in the other thread of this subforum (influences on the art of the fantastic) -- Beardsley and Nielsen! Her patterns remind me of the former, her lines of the latter.

The Koredháni culture is androgynous in several ways -- the telepathy causes blurring of boundaries, whereas the polyandry, the abbreviated pregnancies and the lack of labor division remove role polarity. At the same time, I imagine that they vary in terms of how they look physically.

intrigued_scribe

Thank you, Kathryn, I'm happy that you like the newest additions!
I include the androgynous style to represent the blurred boundaries between the genders (and admittedly, it sometimes finds its way into the drawings on an almost unconscious level, as androgyny--in more than one form--comes to mind when I think of the Koredhani now.) I'm not as familiar with Beardsley and Neilsen as I am with the work of other artists, but I'll definitely have to give their work a good look. :)

Heather

intrigued_scribe

Hello all,

I've just added three new images to the Art of Spider Silk album in the galleries.

Heather

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

My dear Heather,

all three look wonderful -- you really captured Meráni's spark and spirit (and the background architecture looks more and more bewitching). The Boy's anguish is palpable. He looks very much like his mother in that sketch. Both Tomre and the ship look exactly as I imagined them, calm, pragmatic and competent, yet graceful. And, of course, Nesil's mixture of courage, defiance and fear come through vividly.

I moved the last two drawings to the Shoals album, I hope it's all right?

Beautiful work, as always!

intrigued_scribe

Thank you, dear Athena; I'm happy that you like the newest pieces!

And of course, it's certainly all right that you moved the last two images (truthfully, I was trying to figure out how to do that when you did). :)

Heather